Can You Receive Compensation After a Road Rage Incident?

Every driver in Pennsylvania has experienced road rage at some point. Sometimes you’re the one dealing with road rage when traffic is slow and the people in front of you won’t get out of your way. Other times, you’re dealing with an aggressive driver who pulls out in front of you, flashes their lights, drives too close to your vehicle or makes obscene hand gestures. Road rage might be common, but that doesn’t mean it can’t have severe legal consequences.

Studies have shown that engaging in road rage can lead to motor vehicle accidents. When another driver is shouting, honking their horn, deliberately driving too slowly, lashing out physically or revving their engine, they’re not concentrating on the road. As a result, they can easily slam into another person’s vehicle or drift out of their lane and cause a pile-up. This can lead to severe injuries, vehicle damage and even fatalities.

Can you receive compensation if you’re the victim of a road rage incident?

If another driver’s road rage causes you to get into an accident, you can indeed file a claim or sue that driver for compensation. Road rage can cause accidents just as easily as drinking and driving or not paying attention to the road. If the other driver was at fault, you can file a claim with their insurance company or hire an attorney to file a lawsuit. You might want to photograph the scene after the accident to provide evidence that you weren’t at fault.

When it comes to seeking compensation, an attorney could help you reach out to the other driver’s insurance company. If the other driver doesn’t have insurance, an attorney could help you file a claim with your own insurance company and get the compensation that you need to pay your medical bills.