Steps To Take After An Auto Accident
Motor vehicle accidents are unexpected and frightening. It’s not unusual for a motorist to be shocked and afraid in the moment. While this is normal, the steps you take right after an accident are vital. The wrong move could cause further repercussions physically, financially and emotionally.
Understanding what to do and forcing yourself to take level-headed action can make all the difference in your recovery. Our attorneys want you to know what to do when faced with the aftermath of an auto accident.
Steps To Take After A Crash
When you are involved in a motor vehicle wreck, it can be hard to clear your head and take action. Taking the following steps can help you in the long run:
- If there are any injuries, call 911. Medical treatment is the top priority and should be addressed immediately.
- Contact the police. If your vehicle isn’t functioning, you should notify law enforcement so that officers can come to the scene and route traffic to increase safety. Ask for assistance and let them know if an ambulance has been dispatched in the event of serious injury.
- Exchange insurance information with the other party. You will want to get names, contact information and details regarding insurance.
- Contact your insurance company. Notify your carrier of the accident and that you’ve gathered the proper information from the other party.
- Call an attorney. It is important that you speak with legal counsel right away. An attorney will advise you on what to say, how to say it and who to talk to. You can give the name and contact information of your attorney to the police and other party. Saying the wrong information could further damage your potential claim.
At Ainsman Levine, LLC, we will send you a brochure that gives you detailed information regarding your next steps. Use our contact form to request the brochure, which you can keep in your vehicle to use in case of a collision. You have rights and should assert them. Do not claim fault at the scene — which often comes in the form of an apology. You should seek a medical exam even if you don’t feel injured right away. It is always possible for certain injuries to take effect days later.
Your Pittsburgh Personal Injury Lawyers
If you have been in an accident, don’t hesitate or make the wrong move. Contact us to speak with one of our personal injury lawyers today. Our offices are in downtown Pittsburgh and we assist accident victims throughout western and central Pennsylvania. If you can’t make it to us, we will come to you.