New Client Guide
If you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence, you have the right to pursue justice and compensation for your losses. The following checklist includes some of the most important steps you can take in the aftermath of an injury to strengthen your claim and maximize your potential settlement.
- Seek medical attention: The first and most important step is to seek immediate medical attention for your injuries. Not only is this crucial for your well-being, but it also establishes an official medical record of your injuries — which can be key evidence in your claim.
- Preserve evidence: Preserving evidence is vital when building a strong case. Document the accident scene, take photographs of any visible injuries, gather contact information from witnesses if possible, and keep any relevant documents related to the incident, such as police reports or medical records.
- Report the incident: If you were involved in a car accident, report the accident to the police. If it’s a workplace accident, notify your supervisor or employer. Promptly reporting the incident helps ensure an official record is created.
- Consult with a personal injury attorney: Hiring a personal injury attorney who specializes in cases like yours can significantly benefit your claim. An experienced attorney will evaluate your case, provide legal advice, and represent your best interests throughout the process. They will handle negotiations with insurance companies and, if necessary, file a lawsuit on your behalf.
- File an insurance claim: After you retain legal counsel, your attorney will assist you in filing an insurance claim with the responsible party’s insurance company. They will work to ensure that all necessary documentation and evidence are included to maximize your chances of receiving fair compensation for your damages.
- Negotiate a settlement: Insurance companies often attempt to settle cases quickly and for less than what victims are entitled to. Your attorney will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to secure a fair settlement that adequately compensates you for your injuries and losses. They will protect your rights throughout the negotiation process.
- Litigation and trial: If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiation, your attorney may advise you to proceed with filing a lawsuit and taking your case to court. In this stage, expert witnesses, testimonies, and evidence will be presented to prove the negligence of the responsible party and seek compensation through a trial.
- Receive compensation: If successful, you will receive the compensation you deserve. This may include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and more. Your attorney will fight to ensure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation possible under the law.
Our Practice Areas
Our attorneys handle a wide breadth of personal injury cases, including those involving:
- Catastrophic Injuries
- Medical Malpractice
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- Workers’ Compensation
- Child Sexual Abuse
- Wrongful Death
Contact A Pittsburgh Personal Injury Lawyer
At Ainsman Levine LLC, we know how physically, emotionally, and financially devastating personal injuries can be. For this reason, our attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, meaning that no attorney fee is owed unless we win your case.