Was Your Child Hurt on the Playground? Take These 4 Steps
Every parent worries about getting a phone call informing them that their child got hurt on the playground. Unfortunately, playground injuries are all too common, with over 200,000 school-going children in the United States suffering serious injuries on playground equipment every year.
At Ainsman Levine, LLC, we are dedicated to protecting the rights of children and their families in Pittsburgh. Our attorneys emphasize the importance of taking prompt action, which makes a significant difference in getting the compensation you deserve. If you or your child has fallen victim to a playground accident, here are the steps to take:
The first and most crucial step is to seek immediate medical attention for your child. This is because even seemingly minor injuries can have underlying complications for your child later in life. However, prompt medical attention ensures that any injuries are diagnosed and treated early to increase the chances of a full recovery. In addition, seeing a healthcare professional will ensure that there is an official medical record of the event that you can use as evidence later.
Next, you need to establish a record of the incident and ensure the owner of the playground knows the situation. Notifying them promptly creates a record of the incident and allows them to take necessary safety measures to prevent further injuries. Obtain any contact information for an insurance representative, but do not provide a recorded statement or any unnecessary details before speaking with an attorney.
Building strong personal injury cases against institutions depends on evidence. That is why you need to document the accident scene immediately.
- Take photographs of your child’s injuries and of the area of the playground where they were injured, if possible.
- Try to identify any witnesses to the accident and obtain names and contact information.
- Keep a journal how their injuries are affecting them on a daily basis
- Keep all relevant documents
This type of evidence is often critical to establishing both liability and damages in a personal injury case. The more comprehensive your evidence, the better your chances of a favorable outcome.
Finally, it’s imperative that you retain an attorney after your child suffers any type of injury on a playground. If your child is injured on a school playground, contacting an attorney as soon as possible is even more important, as there are legal limitations on making a claim against public schools in Pennsylvania. Some of the specific things your lawyer may do include:
- Assess the strength of your case objectively to establish the extent of injuries and the liability of the parties involved. This assessment helps you understand the potential value of your claim.
- Collect and preserve crucial evidence to establish liability and demonstrate the extent of your child’s injuries.
- File the notice of claim with the playground owner, if necessary.
- Engage with the owner or insurance company on your behalf to seek fair compensation for your child’s damages.
- If negotiations with the owner or insurance company do not result in a satisfactory settlement offer, file a lawsuit in the appropriate court.
A successful claim for playground injuries requires robust legal representation. At our firm, we have a proven track record of securing compensation for victims. A Pittsburgh injury lawyer will ensure your child’s rights are protected for proper compensation. Contact us now for a free case evaluation.